Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Nostalgia

"Vandewege! You're on the tee!"

I can't help but feel nostalgic today. Most people get nostalgic by listening to music or watching an old movie or television rerun. Music does it for me, but the main thing that brings nostalgia is the weather. With the beautiful weather we are having today it brings me back exactly 9 years ago today.

I was a freshman in high school at Lincoln East High School in Lincoln, NE. It was the first day of golf tryouts. Lincoln East has a rich history in golf and we were coming off our third straight State Championship and several returning starters off that team. Throw in A.J. Elgert, also a freshman who went on to four succesful years at Kansas State (and is now working his way through the mini professional tours) and this had the makings of an uphill battle.

As I sat through my regular classes, the butterflies boiled. I'll never forget walking out of school that day, with my dad waiting to pick me up. It was 70 degrees, sunny, and a stiff southerly wind -- a heat wave by Nebraska standards. I threw in some Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers to calm the nerves, drove out to the golf course and dad left me with some inspirational words. I put in my regular practice routine and watched a few guys start their round.

"Vandewege! You're on the tee!"

Those were the words I will never forget. I shot a bogey filled 46 that day (9 holes) and ended up missing the team in a playoff after 5 rounds. I ended up winning the Freshman golf tournament with freshman from all of the high schools in Lincoln that didn't make their team and went on to play my sophomore and junior seasons. I have great memories of the guys on the team and the awesome spring time weather.

So as I sit on my porch and listen to "Free Fallin" by Tom Petty, I am put back 9 years ago. Ah what the heck, I think I'm gonna head out to the driving range and see if I still have a good shot or two left in the ole tank.

Enjoy this weather.....I know I am!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address to receive daily updates from the Newscenter 11 Weather Blog:

Delivered by FeedBurner

!-- Start of StatCounter Code -->