Thursday, December 21, 2006

A Rainy Night...

Rain continues to overspread Mississippi and Alabama from the south and southwest. The rain is heavy at times; radar estimates that over 1" has already fallen along the U.S. Highway 84 corridor. The remainder of the area will see some rain later tonight, and it will be heavy at times.

Storms? The Storm Prediction Center (SPC) has issued a Severe Thunderstorm Watch for parts of southern Louisiana. While we cannot rule out a strong storm or two, we certainly don't anticipate a widespread severe weather episode. The atmosphere is simply too stable.

* Christmas Forecast: We still anticipate some rain around here for Christmas. And, IF you believe the 18z GFS, there is a chance of a few snow flurries across central Mississippi on Christmas night. I'm not quite ready to introduce that in the forecast just yet, but the model is showing a very deep, cold upper level low.
As mentioned in this space many times, those systems are well-known for producing unexpected fun. We'll watch. For now, let's stick with the idea that Christmas Eve will feature some rain, and the moisture will sweep out before the cold air arrives Christmas morning.

* Personal Christmas Shopping Update: I'm just about done with my shopping. I need to pick up one or two small items, and that should finish the job. As I get older, it seems that I'm buying for more and more people. That makes for more work, but it's certainly worth it! I hope your Christmas shopping is done soon, but more importantly, I hope your Christmas is a meaningful and happy occasion.

1 Comments:

At 6:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Josh,
I hope you have a nice break over the Christmas Holiday. I know you need it. Sorry about that. Merry Christmas to all and to all.. well you know the rest!

Charles

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address to receive daily updates from the Newscenter 11 Weather Blog:

Delivered by FeedBurner

!-- Start of StatCounter Code -->