Tuesday, May 02, 2006

A Special Day

* This post will not contain any weather information, but perhaps you'll get something out of reading it.

May 2, 1931 was a very special day in my life and in the lives of many of my family members and friends. My grandmother, Lucille G. Allen, was born. I wonder what her parents thought she'd grow up to be. Did they have any idea that their infant child would grow up to be an excellent mother, wife, grandmother, sister, and friend? Did they know that decades later, her grandchildren would grow to love the twinkle in her eye? How did they instill in her the devout belief that there is good in each and every person? However they did it, I'm just fortunate they got the job done.

Simply put, my grandmother was a treasure. She was one of those rare people whose paths we are truly fortunate to cross in life. She was also one of those people that cannot be accurately described by the English language. There really aren't the right words to convey the rich contribution she made to the people and environment around her. She was very kind, generous, honest, and always knew the right thing to say to teach the important lessons of life.

Like many children in their early teens, I sure thought I was smarter than my parents. This led to some friction with my mother, so I moved in with my grandmother. I lived with her for a little over two years, and those two years taught me volumes about life and how to treat people. Sadly, those two years were the last two of her life. She passed away of a heart attack in August 1996. She had awakened me early that morning and told me that she was having trouble, so I immediately called 911. But, by the time the paramedics arrived, she was already gone.

I have chosen not to mourn on the anniversary of her death. Rather, I try to celebrate her life on the anniversary of its' beginning. I can't think of a better way to spread her enthusiasm for life than to write this in the hope that it inspires someone to reach out to their loved ones.

Make sure you spend plenty of time with those you love. Regardless of age, arguments, concerns, bad blood, or any other thing that has been keeping you from reaching out to someone you care about, we all have one thing in common: we won't be here forever. Moments lost working, driving, dealing or busy with something else are lost and can't be restored. Try not to take people for granted, because they too will be gone one day.

Happy Birthday to my grandmother.

1 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address to receive daily updates from the Newscenter 11 Weather Blog:

Delivered by FeedBurner

!-- Start of StatCounter Code -->