Monday, February 13, 2006

Hitting the Highway

* Today was a day of travel for me. I left Mobile, Alabama this morning - en route to York, Alabama for a visit with Ms. Radcliffe's Fourth Grade class. What a great bunch of kids! We discussed severe weather safety, and shared a few laughs along the way.

* Alabama Highway 17 offers several historic and interesting communities. Heading north from Mobile on Highway 45, I went left at the Hwy 45/17 split - taking Highway 17 north through Washington County. The first town is Chatom. Chatom must be the "Soul Food" capital of Alabama - I saw several signs for restaurants featuring SOUL food. I sure wish I would have had time to stop for lunch.

* Highway 17 snakes northward through Millry and into southern Choctaw County. The highway takes you through Silas, Cullomburg, Toxey, and eventually into the town of Butler. It's a very scenic highway, with several lakes dotting the landscape. One highlight was a local church sign that said "Worry is the dark room where negatives develop." How true!

* Once into York, I turned right onto Highway 11, going north towards Livingston. Sumter Academy is on the west side of Highway 11, a few miles north of York.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address to receive daily updates from the Newscenter 11 Weather Blog:

Delivered by FeedBurner

!-- Start of StatCounter Code -->