Sunday, April 09, 2006

Slow Weather Day

* Forgive the late nature of today's entry. I have had a very full day of eating too much dessert, watching the Masters, and spending time with Tara. What a fun and action packed day! Thankfully, the weather has been fantastic - plenty of sunshine, mild temperatures. The exception to the mild part of the equation has been during the morning hours. And, that'll happen again tonight, as temps fall into the lower 40's.

* Much, if not all, of the upcoming work week will be dry and warm. Temperatures will warm up into the upper 70's most days, with a few days possibly reaching the lower 80's. Pretty great stuff!

* NWS survey teams continue to evaluate damage across much of Tennessee. They have preliminarily determined that the tornado that struck Gallatin, TN (around 25 miles northeast of Nashville) was an F3 - quite significant. That rating may be adjusted as more evaluations are done.

* I hope you've all had a great Palm Sunday. Palm Sunday always brings back memories for me - sad ones. Palm Sunday (March 27) 1994 saw an F4 tornado hit Goshen United Methodist Church, just north of Piedmont, Alabama. I am originally from Jacksonville, Alabama, a town not far away from the affected area. The church did not have a weather radio, and never heard the warning. Sadly, 20 people were killed, including the pastor's young daughter. Many of those killed were children. I was 11 years old at the time, and I saw the damage of this tornado for myself a few days after it hit. The impact that made on me will stay with me as long as I'm around. This storm is the main reason I talk and write often about every church, home, school, and business needing a weather radio.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address to receive daily updates from the Newscenter 11 Weather Blog:

Delivered by FeedBurner

!-- Start of StatCounter Code -->