Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Curfew Reinstated..

* Got this from Maureen Lofton...

Mayor John Robert Smith has ordered that a curfew be reimposed tonight (Tuesday) from 7 p.m. until 7 a.m. Wednesday morning. The decision was made after consultations with police, fire and public works officials. Mississippi Power estimates that considerable power outages will still be in place and the streets will be dark and dangerous, still littered with trees and downed power lines.

Police say they will be aggressive in stopping potential looters and others wanting to take advantage of the situation. Persons stopped who have no legitimate purpose on the streets will be arrested and charged with either failure to obey or disorderly conduct, misdemeanors punishable by fines approaching $200. If multiple persons are in a vehicle that is stopped, all occupants can be charged.

The top priority is to protect residents and businesses from suffering further harm.

2 Comments:

At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just left Meridian and am now stationed in San Diego. My wife and kids are still there living out in Lauderdale County. Thanks to your blog and consistent cell phone calls I was able to an eye on things. Minimal damage to our house, but its quite fixable. My only gripe. Where was the chain of command for the county and city until now. Now I see a posting concerning curfews. Seems to me I checked quite a few times and no government postings were on the The Meridian Star site nor WTOK. Kudos to you for your great work.
The county and city need to look into preplanning and organizing days prior instead of the day of.

 
At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this blog. It is the only way I can get on-site information because the national news is useless as far as Meridian is concerned.

My parents are there and I can't get in touch with them by cell or any other means. I am stressing over not hearing from them. If anyone has any time at all, please tell me what kind of damage, if any, was done on Poplar Springs Drive in the 2500 block. My email address is bttrail@earthlink.net.

God bless you all. Take care. You remain in our prayers and constant thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address to receive daily updates from the Newscenter 11 Weather Blog:

Delivered by FeedBurner

!-- Start of StatCounter Code -->