Friday, April 22, 2005

Beginning to Wind Down...

* Severe weather threat is diminishing for parts of the area. The NWS has dropped the Severe Thunderstorm Watch for areas along and north of Interstate 59. Areas south of I-59 will have to monitor things over the next few hours, but the trend is for activity to diminish and move south and east of us.

* For a complete listing of all the damage reports, check out the NWS Public Information Statements:

Mississippi Storm Reports

Alabama Storm Reports

* The numbers from today's event are pretty telling. Lots and lots of hail. Here are the national number of severe weather events since 6:00 AM (valid 9:40 PM):

171 Hail Reports
86 Wind Reports
5 Tornado Reports

Interesting to note that of the 171 Hail Reports, 5 of those saw hailstones 2 inches in diameter or more! Of those 5 LARGE hail reports, 4 occurred in central Mississippi.

* Chilly weather on the way for the weekend. Derek Kinkade will be along to update you on a calm weekend Saturday at 6 and 10! Enjoy the weekend!

2 Comments:

At 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Josh..I know you had to man the station during the weather...but you missed the rodeo...Just ask any of your station guys to tell you about Renee' LaSalle horse ride...it was WILD!!!!

 
At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's me again. Concerning the storms the other night, I don't know if the two were related or not (I'm not a true meteorologist), but if it was an outflow boundary, why didn't you know about it? About the strange hours, I set my clock to wake me up at 2:00 because after 18 years of watching weather pretty closely, I have come up with a couple of my own theories. One of them is that for some reason storms seem to fire at 2:00 in the morning. I have no scientific evidence to back that up, but I know it is true. They also fire at 2:00 in the afternoon, but I know that's because of the heat of the day. I have also noticed that storms can do something that I call "transfer energy." This is what I think happened that night. Once again, I have no scientific evidence to back it up, but I believe it. I've noticed that storms can die out in one place and build up in another, and I believe that the storms are pretty much the same storms or have the same energy. I also know that from March to about May, people here in the south should never turn their backs on any storm, and nothing, particularly tornadoes, can be completely ruled out. Basically, what I do is get as many different forecasts as I can and try to come up with my own, which usually is that any storm during this time of year has the potential to be severe. And yeah, I do lose a lot of sleep this time of year, but when situations like that night happen, it's a good thing. I don't like waking up to the sound of a thunderstorm because I live in a trailer, so I can't afford to make any mistakes. I hope I didn't upset you, but I don't like waking up to that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address to receive daily updates from the Newscenter 11 Weather Blog:

Delivered by FeedBurner

!-- Start of StatCounter Code -->